Education Abroad Scholarships

Three key approaches to fund your education abroad programs:

  1. Financial Aid - If you are taking coursework for credit, most financial aid awards can be used abroad. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for more details. 
  2. Scholarships - You should research and apply for scholarships, including:
    1. Providers: All of our providers offer discounts and scholarships that can help alleviate the costs of your education abroad programs. 
    2. National scholarships such as the Fulbright, Boren, and Gilman awards. 
    3. Stockton University scholarships.
  3. Creative Approaches: Students can raise funds through GoFundMe pages and other creative means.

Stockton University Education Abroad Scholarship

All education abroad students are eligible and encouraged to apply for Stockton University Education Abroad Scholarship! 

After your study abroad application is accepted, you will see the "Stockton Education Abroad Scholarship Application" under "Forms" in your Via TRM profile

After we receive your application, it will be reviewed by our Education Abroad Scholarship Review Committee. Each application will be reviewed by at least two committee members. 

Students should expect to receive the decision a month after the application deadlines. If you are offered a scholarship, you need to confirm the acceptance of the scholarship via email. The scholarship amount will be loaded to your student account. 

  • Winter/Spring Semester: October 15
  • Summer/Fall Semester or Academic Year: March 15
  • Faculty-led Programs: FLP-specific 

Scholarship criteria: 

  • GPA
  • Non-GPA-related Achievement
  • Motivation to Study Abroad
  • Financial Need

*Note that all of these criteria are considered in determining recipients of scholarships. If you're in doubt about your chances, apply anyway!

Federal Scholarships




The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, providing them with skills critical to our national security and economic prosperity. To be eligible for the Gilman Program, applicants must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant during the time of application or provide proof that they will be receiving a Pell Grant during the term of their study abroad program or internship. The Institute of International Education has administered the program since its inception in 2001.

You will need to meet with the Office of Global Engagement before you submit a Gilman application.

The Fund for Education Abroad

Fund for Education Abroad logo



The Fund for Education Abroad (FEA) is a non-profit organization that provides scholarships and ongoing support to students who are underrepresented among the U.S. study abroad population. 

FEA awards up to $10,000 for an academic year abroad, $5,000 for a fall or spring semester abroad, and summer scholarships are pro-rated based on length of program.

While we encourage all students to apply for an FEA scholarship, preference is given to students of color, first-generation college students, community college students, and students with high financial need.

Boren Awards 2022 application is open!


Boren Awards provides up to $25,000 funding for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to study less commonly taught languages in regions critical to U.S. interests: Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Recipients will commit to work in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.

See more details of Boren Awards here. 

Other Education Abroad Scholarships