J-1 Employment

J-1 Exchange Students 

Employment is strictly regulated by the U.S. Department of State. It is imperative for you to understand and comply with the U.S. Federal Regulations. Neglecting to comply with the following regulations will result in J-1 program termination and an immediate return to your home country. Please read the following information very carefully and meet with your OGE advisor prior to engaging in any employment.

There are 2 kinds of employment available to J-1 Exchange Students:

  1. On-Campus Employment
  2. Academic Training


To be eligible for J-1 Exchange Student Employment students must:

  • be in status
  • be engaged in a full course of study
  • work part-time when school is in session - no more than 20 hours per week, except during official school breaks where students may choose to work full-time 
  • be authorized to work by their OGE advisor

Note: All on-campus and off-campus employment requires a social security number.

On-Campus Employment

To be eligible for on-campus employment J-1 Exchange Students must:

  • be enrolled at Stockton full time
  • work no more than 20 hours per week when school is in session
  • may work up to 40 hours per week when school is not in session. If a student plans to work on campus during scheduled academic breaks he/she must plan on attending Stockton full time the following semester.

Note: Students cannot work on-campus after completion of their program of study.

Students can contact Career Education & Development for on-campus employment. Those who have found employment must come to the Office of Global Engagement to complete the necessary paperwork. Students should bring with them:

1. A copy of the job offer letter signed by the supervisor. Letter should include:

  • Location where employment will take place
  • Beginning and date of employment
  • Number of hours student will work per week
  • Student’s duties described in detail
  • Supervisor’s name and phone number

2. Students must complete Form I-9 necessary for employment, as well as present a copy of their unexpired foreign Passport, Social Security Card, Form I-94, Form DS-2019 and a visa.