Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Admissions related

From the point the Admissions Office receives your application and all of your supporting material, (such as official transcripts) it usually takes about two weeks. We notify you of your decision by email or mail.  You may also check your Stockton online application for updates.

As soon as you apply. We cannot admit you without your official transcript(s). If you are currently taking classes, be sure to follow up with a second transcript once the semester ends so we can 'capture' those credits as well. Paper transcripts and other academic material should be sent to: 

Office of Admissions
Stockton University

101 Vera King Farris Drive 
Galloway, NJ 08205

Unfortunately, no. Transcripts must be official, either mailed or sent electronically directly from all previous colleges/universities you've attended within the US. If transferring from outside the US, the transcripts must be evaluated by one of the approved agency:

Please note: From the point you order your transcript, it usually takes a week to ten days for us to receive it, even if sent electronically.

A link or instruction to the online housing applications is sent to all admitted students in their acceptance packet. Any questions you may have about student housing options and policies, as well as housing staff contact information, can be found at  We work closely with our Residential Life Office to help our international students getting housing assignment.
Applicants for the fall semester will receive a response after May 1. Applicants for spring semester will receive a response the first week of January. New first-year freshmen or transfer students will receive their housing assignment around or after the date of their Orientation.
Yes. Accepted freshmen are considered for merit scholarships based on class rank/GPA and SAT/ACT scores. Accepted transfer students are considered for scholarships based on previous college performance. Stockton Foundation Scholarships reward returning students based on academic merit at Stockton (available to apply after one semester at Stockton). There is no separate scholarship application. If you are awarded a scholarship, notification will be sent in your acceptance packet. More information about the merit-based scholarship can be found here.
A credit evaluation will be sent to you shortly after you receive your acceptance notification. It will show you exactly what coursework has been satisfied here at Stockton and what you will still need to take in order to earn your chosen degree(s).  Please contact your designated Admissions officer for details.
If you are a high school graduate (or GED holder) and you have attended a college or university, you are a transfer student. Depending on how many credits you've earned, however, there will be a slight difference in what material Admission will ask for in order to make a decision on your application. Please refer to the application instructions for details.
International students will be charged for out-of-states tuition & fees. Please visit the Cost of Attendance page or use the Bill Estimator to get an estimated cost of attendance based on your housing and meal preference. Keep it in mind, international students are required to enroll full-time (minimum of 12 credits per semester for undergraduate programs, and 9 credits for graduate programs.) You must see an DSO from Stockton for exception to this rule before you take a reduced course load.

For additional admissions questions about transfer students, please check here.

 F-1/J-1 Status related

We highly suggest our prospective students complete the Application for I-20 after submitting their admissions application. The Office of Admissions will process your application upon academic acceptance and evidence of financial support from your sponsor(s).

If you receive an I-20 (see a sample) from Stockton, you will be applying for an F visa;

If you receive a DS-2019 (see a samplefrom Stockton, you will be applying for a J visa.

  • Employment opportunities in the U.S. (on-campus and off-campus)
  • Requesting CPT/OPT or Academic Training
  • Applying for a New Jersey driver’s license
  • Applying for a Social Security number (SSN)
  • Changing your major, program, or degree level (e.g. from Bachelor to Master's)
  • Changing your address, phone number or email within 10 days
  • Transferring to/from a new school as an F-1/J-1 student
  • Being absent from classes or taking a vacation during the semester
  • Requesting approval for reduced course load (RCL)
  • Traveling outside the U.S.
  • Changing your U.S. address
  • Changing your name
  • Requesting a program extension before your program end date

Your F or J visa is only an official travel document that allows you to enter the U.S.  You may stay in the U.S. legally as long as you have a valid I-20 or DS-2019. However, if you travel back to your home country and your visa is expired, then you must obtain a new visa (from your country of citizenship or country of residence.)

Yes. If you have a valid foreign driver's license in English or an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with your driver's license, you can drive in New Jersey for less than one (1) year. After that you will need to apply for a New Jersey driver's license.

Visit the Life in New Jersey page and learn how to obtain a NJ driver's license.


The spouse of J-1 visitor and their unmarried children (under 21-year-old) can apply as J-2 dependents.

J-2 dependents must enter the U.S. with the J-1 visitor. A J-2 dependent may enter the U.S. separately when the J-1 visitor has already arrived the U.S.

J-2 dependents are allowed to stay in the U.S. as long as the J-1 is still in the U.S. legally.

J-2 dependents are allowed to pursue part-time or full time study while in the U.S.

Yes. All J-2 dependents are required by the U.S. Department of State to have health insurance coverage for the entire duration of the program.  See the minimum health insurance coverage here.


Your Stockton Osprey Card can be used similar to a pre-paid credit card to make purchases on campus and participating off-campus locations.  See more instructions and details here.

You can print in black & white at a Printing Station (e.g. in the library and computer labs). There are printing points in your student's account. Students can add additional color points to their account by visiting from a lab computer. Color printing is available in D-002, F-210 and the Library.

Galloway Main Campus:

Student name
MSC #_ _ _ _
Stockton University
101 Vera King Farris Drive
Galloway, NJ 08205

Atlantic City Campus: 

Student name
Room # _____
Stockton University
3701 Boardwalk
Atlantic City, NJ 08401

This information is emailed to each student (living on-campus) just before semesters start.

For more information and updates please visit Mail Services website.

Couldn't find answers for your questions? Please contact us at