Osprey Card

In addition to serving as your official Stockton identification card, your ID Card (Osprey Card) can also be used as a key access card to enter buildings, rooms, library, athletics and events. 

The card can also be used as a declining balance account and be used similar to a pre-paid credit card to make purchases on campus and participating off-campus locations.

Osprey Card Funds for Fall '24 will begin being transferred on Thursday, August 22, 2024. Requests made prior to this date will be deleted.

Instead of carrying cash or credits cards, you may transfer (add) funds onto your Osprey Card from your goStockton account and then use the card to pay for meals or to make purchases on-campus or at participating off-campus locations


Students with a credit balance of federal aid on their account, which occurs when a student's financial aid is over the cost of their charges are able to use these funds to obtain books and supplies. To utilize these funds, students can transfer up to $1,500.00 onto their Stockton student ID card, also known as the Osprey Card per semester.

The process allows students to transfer funds to the Osprey Card starting two weeks before the semester begins, giving students the opportunity to obtain their books and supplies before the conclusion of the first week of the semester.

Students may opt out of this process by deciding not to transfer funds onto the Osprey Card. Any excess financial aid funds will then be issued to the student in the form of a refund check after financial aid funds have disbursed.

Before submitting a request, verify that there are funds available in your goStockton account that can be added (transferred) to your Osprey Card.  If there are not sufficient funds in your account, you may need to Make a Payment before submitting the request.

Payments to your account can be made online (electronic check or credit card) from the Bursars/Payments tab in goStockton or in-person (cash or check) at the Bursar's Office (CC-202). 

Students may submit the Add Funds to Osprey Card online from goStockton on the Bursars/Payments tab or in-person at the Bursar's Office (CC-202).  Faculty and staff must submit the request in-person at the Bursars Office (CC-202).

How to transfer funds onto your "declining balance" Osprey Card:


  1. From go.stockton.edu
  2. Sign in to the GO portal
  3. Click on 'Bursars'
  4. Click on My Account/My Bill
  5. Choose the current term and click Submit
  6. Scroll down to view your Account Balance as of Today*
  7. Verify that there are sufficient funds available for transfer
    (Available funds will appear as a credit (a negative number).  If there is a zero balance, you will need to make a payment before proceeding)
  8. Go Back to the 'Bursars' area of the GO portal
  9. Click on 'Add Funds to Osprey Card' (to the right of page)
  10. Click on 'Submit Request'
  11. Enter the amount you wish to transfer
  12. Click Submit
  1. From go.stockton.edu
  2. Sign in to the GO portal
  3. Click on 'Bursars'
  4. Click on 'Make a Payment' (in the middle of the page)
  5. In the box at the right enter the amount you are adding to the Osprey card
  6. Click 'Continue'
  7. Select Payment method - follow the prompts to complete the payment process
  8. Return to the 'Bursars' area of the GO portal
  9. Click on 'Add Funds to Osprey Card' (to the right of page)
  10. Click on 'Submit Request'
  11. Enter the amount you wish to transfer
  12. Click Submit

There are two ways to request:

  1. On Chartwell's homepage, there is an option to recharge your card. ($50.00 minimum required)
  2. From the 'Meal Membership' tab, click 'Purchase a Meal Membership.' You will then see Meal Plan options listed as '$100 Dining Dollars ($15 Bonus).'
  3. Both ways add the item to your cart and then will require payment through checkout prompts.

When making the request through the goPortal, you can choose to transfer Unrestricted funds, either from cash payments or financial aid. All 'Restricted' or Dining Dollar purchases should be made through Chartwells.

RESTRICTED (Dining Dollars) funds can only be used to purchase (or supplement a meal plan) at dining locations in the Campus Center, N-Wing, Lakeside and Atlantic City.

UNRESTRICTED funds can be used for purchases at all on-campus locations (restaurants, bookstores, box office, etc.) and participating off-campus locations.  Financial Aid funds can ONLY be designated as Unrestricted. 

Requests are processed daily.  Requests submitted after business hours, on weekends or holidays will be processed the next business day.  Cash cannot be withdrawn from the card and the funds cannot be removed once they have been transferred.  Funds carry over semester to semester until the student graduates or leaves the university. Any remaining credit balances will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis for the source of payment to determine if a refund will be processed. Please note, certain institutional funds are nonrefundable.

Your Osprey Card account is separate from your goStockton account and is managed through GetFood.  You may view your Osprey Card balance, track spending and report lost or stolen cards through GetFood.  First time users will need to create a GetFood account.

Lost or stolen ID cards must be reported through GetFood and then to the Office of Student Records (CC-203) to obtain a new ID card.  There is a $25.00 fee for replace ID cards.