Stockton University has always been dedicated to Interdisciplinary and Interprofessional collaboration and education. In 2010, the World Health Organization (WHO) defined Interprofessional Education (IPE) as follows: "When students from two or more professions learn about, from and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes. Once students understand how to work interprofesssionally , they are ready to enter the workplace as a member of the collaborative practice team."
Faculty from the School of Health Sciences (SHS) embraced the importance of engaging students in interprofessional and interdisciplinary learning experiences to prepare them for future careers. This initiative expanded to include collaboration with additional Schools and Programs at Stockton University, as well as with community partners. It is the goal of the Stockton University Interprofessional and Interdisciplinary Education Committee to truly embrace collaboration and engagement with faculty, staff, administrators, students, and community partners from all backgrounds and areas of work and life.
Why is Interprofessional & Interdisciplinary Education Important?
When students from across difference disciplines are educated collaboratively, they
often have a better understanding of their colleagues’ roles. As a result, there is
a greater level of positive outcomes in the work being accomplished, as well as a
greater depth of learning and understanding that takes place.
See our student interviews to understand the benefits that interprofessional collaboration and communication have for future professionals at Stockton University.
To provide opportunities for Interprofessional & Interdisciplinary Education and collaboration for students, faculty, staff, and community partners.
- Serve as a resource for curriculum and course design for IPE acitivities.
- Develop tools to assist faculty to incorporate IPE in the curricula and quantify outcomes of student, faculty, and community engagement.
- Integrate the IPEC Core Competencies in University-wide learning experiences.
- Implement strategies to engage students in Interprofessional & Interdisciplinary Education opportunities.
- Increase faculty participation in Interprofessional & Interdisciplinary Education opportunities and activities.
- Participate in the education of community partners and other stakeholders related to interprofessional and interdisciplinary collaborative practice.
- Offer faculty development activitites that value and emphasize interprofessional and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Contribute to the evidence-based body of knowledge related to interprofessional and interdisciplinary education.