Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Grew up in Minnesota loving the outdoors. I fell in love with chemistry because it's at the intersection of science, engineering and art. At MSUM I worked full time while volunteering with several organization and going to school full time. I took that dedication to hard work into my Ph.D. working on photochemical reactions within confined media.
In my spare time, I enjoy hiking, fishing and cycling. I try to get to as many live music events as possible and when the weather is bad, I'll watch a bad movie. If you stop by my office there will be a chance I'm listening to a new album.
B.A. Chemistry, Minnesota State University Moorhead, Moorhead, MN
Ph.D. North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Physical Organic Chemistry, Organic Photochemistry, Inorganic Photochemistry, Supramolecular Chemistry, Organometallic Chromophore Design
Physical Organic Chemistry, General Chemistry
Supramolecular Assemblies, Organic Photochemistry, Inorganic Photochemistry
- Wang, J., Waters, J., Kung, P., Kim, S., Kelly, J., McNamara, L., Hammer, N., Pemberton, B.C., Schmehl, R., Gupta, A., Pan, S., A Facile Electrochemical Reduction Method for Improving Photocatalytic Performance of α-Fe2O3 Photoanode for Solar Water Splitting, ACS Appl. Mater. and Interfaces 2017 (In revision)
- Khan, A.F., Wang, D., Pemberton, B., Talipov, M.R., Rathore, R., Toroidal delocalization of a single electron through circularly-arrayed benzophenone chromophores in hexakis(4-benzoylphenyl)benzene, J. Photochem. Photobiol., A.2016, doi:10.1016/j.jphotochem.2016.05.002
- Vallavoju, N., Selvakumar, S., Pemberton, B.C., Jockusch, S., Sibi, M. P., Sivaguru, J., Organophotocatalysis: Insights into the Mechanistic Aspects of Thiourea-Mediated Intermolecular [2+2] Photocycloadditions Angewandte, 2016, 55, 5446-5451 (highlighted as a Frontispiece article, see citation below)
- Pemberton, B. C., Ugrinov, A., Sivaguru, J., Evaluating photodimerization of 6-methylcoumarin mediated by cucurbituril through mechanical grinding – Supramolecular effects of additives J. Photochem. Photobiol., A. 2013, 225, 10-15.
- Pemberton, B. C., Raghunathan, R., Volla, S., Sivaguru, J., From Containers to Catalysts: Supramolecular Catalysis within Cucurbiturils Chem. Eur. J. 2012, 18, 12178-12190.
- Pemberton, B.C., Singh, R., Johnson, A.C., Jockusch, S., Da Silva, J.P., Ugrinov, A., Turro, N.J., Srivastava, D.K., Sivaguru, J., Supramolecular Photocatalysis: Physical Insights into Cucurbituril catalyzed photodimerization of 6-methylcoumarin Chem. Comm. 2011, 47, 6323-6325.
- Ayitou, A. J.; Pemberton, B. C.; Kumarasamy, E.; Vallavoju, N.; Sivaguru, J., Fun with Photons: Selective Light Induced Reaction in Solution and in Water Soluble Nano-containers, Chimia, 2011, 65, 4, 202-209. (Review based on Grammaticakis-Neumann Prize lecture).
- Pemberton, B. C., Kumarasamy, E., Jockusch, S., and Sivaguru, J., Photophysical aspects of 6 -methylcoumarin-Cucurbiturils Host-guest Complexes Can. J. Chem. 2011, 89, 310-316
- Pemberton, B. C., Barooah, N., Srivatsava, D.K., and Sivaguru, J., Supramolecular Photocatalysis by Confinement Photodimerization of Coumarins Within Cucurbiturils Chem. Comm. 2010, 46, 225-227. (cited as a hot paper, see citation below)
- Barooah, N., Pemberton, B. C., Johnson, A.C., and Sivaguru, J., Photodimerization and Complexation Dynamics of Coumarins in the Presence of Cucurbiturils Photochem. Photobiol. Sci., 2008, 7, 1473-1479.
- Barooah, N., Pemberton, B. C., and Sivaguru, J., Manipulating Photochemical Reactivity of Coumarins Within Cucurbituril Nanocavities, Org.Lett., 2008, 10, 3339-3342.