Frequently Asked Questions

question mark

Click Here to view FAQs for the Ombuds Office


You can change your benefits once each year during Open Enrollment, or when a qualifying event occurs.  Open Enrollment usually occurs in the fall with implementation effective January 1.  Examples of qualifying events would be the birth or adoption of a child, marriage, the death of a dependent or loss of benefits by a non-covered dependent.

Contact the OHR Benefits Manager to complete documentation.  You have 60 days from the date of birth or date of marriage to add them. After the 60 days have lapsed, you must then wait for Open Enrollment.

If the need for a medical leave of absence presents itself,  your first step should be to call Human Resources and schedule an appointment.  Each medical leave is unique.   The more information you have can help you make informed decisions. Joyce Kessel processes all leaves of absence.  She can be reached at or 609-652-4384 X5813.

Yes, you can pay off a pension loan early. Call Client Services at the NJ Division of Pensions at (609) 292-7524 and give them the date you wish to pay off the loan and they will provide you with a pay off quote.

Yes, in certain circumstances you can buy pension time. Time that can be purchased includes temporary time immediately preceding a permanent appointment, time not earned while on a medical leave without pay, military time, time from a previous membership, employment with other public agencies, out-of-state public employment and U.S. Government employment.  Find more information and apply through MBOS.
While out on disability, you neither lose nor earn pension time.  If the reason for the leave is medical, the entire time can be purchased. If it is a personal leave, a maximum of three months can be purchased.
No. You contact your health carrier directly to change your primary care physician.


For a list of available jobs, please click here.

We no longer accept resumes via email.  Resumes can be submitted as part of the on-line application process.  Please visit

Labor Relations

For a medical leave, a physician’s note or letter should be submitted to the OHR.  When going on a pre-planned extended leave, a pre-leave conference must be scheduled with the OHR.   For personal leaves, you should submit a letter to your supervisor first with a copy to Human Resources.

For medical leaves or other leaves covered under the State or Federal Family Leave Acts, the OHR approves.   Your supervisor must approve a leave for any other reason before it is submitted to the OHR for approval.

Both Family Leave Acts allow for you to take a leave to care for a family member. Only the Federal Family Leave Act allows you to take a leave for your own illness.

Federal and NJ Family Leave allows for 12 weeks in a 2 year period.  Each Act allows you to take up to 12 weeks of leave in a one year period. However, any leave covered by both Acts, is applied to both acts.   For example, a leave for a sick child is 12 weeks. The only time a person could get 24 weeks leave would be if they were sick, and stayed out 12 weeks under the Federal law, and then had to care for a child and took 12 weeks under the State law. An example of this would be someone who has a difficult pregnancy and is out for their own health condition after childbirth. They could then be out 12 additional weeks to care for the new child.

Yes. If your leave without pay is 11 days or more, your anniversary date is advanced by the total number of days taken during your disability leave. In addition your leave time balances are adjusted for time not earned.
If it is a medical emergency, report the injury to your supervisor and go to the emergency room.  At the earliest opportunity, you must fill out an accident report in the OHR.  If it is not a medical emergency, you should report to the OHR for coordination of your medical care and appointments.
E-forms are available on the Human Resources FormsWeb page.  A completed form should be submitted to your Budget Unit Manager.
For classified employees (Communications Workers of America, International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, Police Units) there is a span of 12 months between each step going from Step 1 to Step 8.  It takes 18 months to go from Step 8 to Step 9 and 24 months to go from Step 9 to Step 10.   For unclassified employees (American Federation of Teachers) there is a span of 12 months between each step going from Step 1 to Step 8.  It takes 18 months between each step going from Step 8 to Step 11 and 24 months between Step 11 and Step 12.
The first step is to discuss the situation with your supervisor.  If the problem is not resolved, an employee can contact Human Resources to request a desk audit.
A desk audit is a formal review of the position by a manager from the OHR. It can be performed in person, by telephone interview or by questionnaire.  If the employee disagrees with the outcome of the audit, he/she may appeal to the Department of Personnel for an independent audit.  To request a desk audit, the employee must identify in writing the specific duties which do not conform to the job title description, and also complete a DPF-44 form (Position Classification Questionnaire).  The questionnaire should be submitted to your supervisor for signature and forwarded to the OHR.  You should also attach an organizational chart for your work unit and a statement of how the job duties have changed.
In position classification determinations, the analyst compares the duties described by the employee in the position; any comments by the supervisor; and the organization structure of the unit in which the position is located to the information in the job descriptions.
Competitive titles require testing to determine skill. Non-competitive titles, due to the nature of the knowledge, skills and abilities required by the job, do not require Civil Service testing.
Open competitive examinations for positions in competitive titles are opened to any person who meets the minimum qualifications outlined in the job description and the residency requirement of the jurisdiction.  Promotional exams for positions in competitive titles are only opened to employees working at Stockton.

The NE employee normally working 35 hours will receive compensatory time for the 36th through the 40th hour.  NE employees working in excess of 40 hours per week will be compensated at time and a half.   

Based on N.J.A.C. 4A:3-5.6, CWA University Employees in the classified NL category of employment (non-fixed workweek) have no claim or entitlement to time off or cash compensation for hours worked beyond their normal schedule. NL employees are exempt from wage and hour overtime rules. NL means “no-limit” workers. These employees shall work at least a 35-hour workweek with intermittent requirements for a longer workweek as warranted to complete projects or assignments. The State of New Jersey has determined that these titles are exempt from coverage by the overtime compensation provisions of the federal FLSA. This is the standard rule and supervisors should manage expectations and workloads accordingly to meet the operational needs of their units.

However, “unusual requirements” for additional work time by NL Employees may be compensated by allowing roughly comparable times off, i.e. Employees who are required by their supervisor to report to work on a regularly scheduled day off are granted compensatory time off on an hour for hour basis. Examples of “unusual requirements” would include work to support the implementation of new technology or completion of time sensitive, one-time projects or initiatives.  NL Employees are not eligible for compensatory time for work done as an extension of the regular work day except in extreme emergencies.  Such extraordinary conditions must have VP and HR approval in advance.

As a rule, all CWA Titles in Ranges 24 and above are NL such as PSS2 and PSS1.

Training & Development

Yes.  Anytime you want to attend a training program you should have a discussion with your supervisor about the appropriateness of the subject to your job and your development.

Information regarding internal and external training opportunities are routinely posted on the OHR website.  In addition training programs offered by OHR are communicated via e-mail to the University community.

Tuition Waiver/Reimbursement forms are available on-line on the forms section of the OHR web page, or can be picked up in person at the OHR.


To change your name, you need to bring your social security card with your new name to the Office of Human Resources.  To change your address, you need to fill out two forms: Change of Address form for the University and Change of Address form for the State of New Jersey.  All forms must be completed and returned to the Office of Human Resources.

The legal holidays are New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King’s Birthday, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Election Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Be aware that classes are in session and offices are open on some holidays.

Need Assistance?

  • Click here to view the full list of HR staff including notes on who can help you with what  
  • Or, call us at 609-652-4384
  • Or stop by our suite in J-115

We look forward to getting you what you need, answering your questions, and/or connecting you with the HR team member that can best help you.